This page is under construction. Throughout 2012, we will add articles, essays, etc., that describe the many contributions statistics has made and continues to make to the betterment of society.
The "Statistical Significance" (StatSig) series highlights the important contributions that statisticians make to society, from healthcare and economy to national security and the environment.
The Getstats Campaign promotes the value of statistics is our daily lives
Codes of Ethics for Statistics and Statisticians
- American Statistical Association
- Institute of Applied Statistics Sri Lanka
- International Statistical Institute
- Royal Statistical Society
- Statistical Society of Australia
- Statistical Society of Canada
- European Statistics Code of Practice
- Israel Central Bureau of Statistics
- UK Statistical Authority Code of Practice
- United Nations Statistical Division - Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics
- United States - Principles and Practices of a Federal Statistical Agency
More ethics resources at www.amstat.org/committees/cmtepc/index.cfm?fuseaction=7
Statisticians work with neuroscientists to reconstruct visual experiences from brain activity
Statisticians collaborate with marine biologists to help set appropriate fishing quotas
The Death of Old Statistics
Hans Rosling's 200 Countries, 200 Years, 4 Minutes
Interesting information and a video about careers for statisticians in the biopharmaceutical industry.
Stories about some leading survey statisticians.
Lots of great information about careers in statistics can be found here.
Read about some of the the rich contributions of statisticians to society here.
Statistics saves lives! Read about how the Kaplan-Meier estimator revolutionized drug trials and improved health care.